You are here
Columbia Arts Experience
The Columbia Arts Experience (CAE) internship program is sponsored by the Columbia University Center for Career Education (CCE) in partnership with the Arts Initiative at Columbia University. Launched in 2007, CAE provides students with a New York-based internship in the arts and culture sector. CAE interns participate in special events and educational programming designed to help them explore career possibilities in the arts industry.
CAE interns can find opportunities in dance, film, music, arts administration, new media, television, theatre, writing, or publishing.
Internships for spring 2017 are now posted on LionSHARE. In LionSHARE, click on internships and search the Label- “CAE-Columbia Arts Experience.” The deadline to apply is Sunday, October 30th. Opportunities open to all undergraduate and graduate students in CC, SEAS, GS, GSAS and SoA.
The CAE program is a combination of internship experience at an arts organization, peer connections with other CAE interns, and professional career development and support with a career counselor. Program features include the following:
- Pre-program training that includes program overview, professional skills workshops, panel discussion from arts professionals, and Q & A session with previous CAE interns.
- 12-week internship for 10-20 hours per week during the spring semester.
- Mid-semester breakfast with other interns to discuss and debrief on internship experiences.
- One-on-one career counseling appointments throughout the ten weeks to support and enhance the internship experience.
- End-of-program reflection session where students and employers meet to acknowledge achievements made through the program.
Upon completion of the CAE program, students will have gained a richer understanding of the arts and culture in New York City and will have gained substantive professional experience working at some of the premier arts institutions in the world. Students will have learned about a wide variety of career possibilities, had opportunities to network with arts professionals and other CAE interns, and gained a more in-depth understanding of and appreciation for the many facets of an arts organization. With the support of a career counseling professional, students will also be able to articulate their experience and reflect upon their internship experience appropriately to highlight key transferable skills.