You are here
For its contemporary art space MINI/Goethe-Institut Curatorial Residencies Ludlow 38, the Goethe-Institut New York is currently seeking a Gallery Assistant (part time) with start date April 13, 2017.
- Welcome and inform visitors in detail about the residency program as well as current and future exhibitions and events at the gallery;
- Offer guided exhibition tours as needed and by appointment;
- Provide visitors with information about the Goethe-Institut New York’s cultural, language, and library programs, as well as the general mission and worldwide activities of the organization;
- Support the gallery team (curatorial resident, intern, residency program director) with preparation of exhibitions and events: assistance with orders and deliveries, artwork installation, digital projection/sound/video, and project-related research, among others;
- Track exhibition and event attendance;
- Exhibition maintenance and general maintenance of the space, including print materials, garbage, and bathroom;
- Serve drinks, manage cash register, and supervise door at occasional evening events
The Gallery Assistant will work two afternoons per week during regular opening hours (Thursday-Sunday, 1-6pm). Scheduling is flexible. Please note that assistance at the gallery is required during exhibition periods only, i.e. every 6-8 weeks there will be closing periods of at least 2 weeks, during which the Gallery Assistant has unpaid time off. The Gallery Assistant is expected to assist with occasional evening events at the Goethe-Institut’s main space located at 30 Irving Place.
- Solid command of German and English;
- Knowledge of Germany and familiarity with contemporary arts and culture in Germany and the United States;
- International experience and strong intercultural skills;
- Strong communication and social skills;
- High capacity for teamwork;
- Welcoming and pro-active behavior towards visitors;
- Strong computer and technical skills, in particular digital projection/sound
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
USD 15/hour during gallery opening hours;
USD 20/hour for evening events
Please submit a one-page cover letter and resume as well as two recent references to email@example.com by April 2. Attachments should be restricted to 2MB total. Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.